Saturday, March 7, 2009

To Live is Christ to Die is Gain

Paul writes to live is Christ to dies is gain. He was expressing the fact that he knows when he dies he will be with Christ. What gain is there when we come into your presence? This life will fade away and all will be blessing. Paul’s statement in this; I am ready to go home, but I know you have a task(s) yet for me to do. What you have asked of me in this life is not complete. For me this statement is a question. I don’t think you are ready to bring me into your presence. If you have left me here then there must be something you want me to do. As I fast this weekend that is my prayer. Lord what is it you want me to do? I am leaving this very open ended.

Philippians 1: 18 - 26

“ Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, 19 for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. 20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me.”

As I reread this is what stands out to me this time is the phrase “convinced of this.” That is my prayer that the Lord will help me in all my doubt to be convinced of this one thing He is asking me to do now. For Paul it was to continue with all of you (his sphere of influence) for their progress and joy in the faith. I think that is a cause worthy of a calling.

I have to ask myself what is my sphere of influence. This brings to my mind something my pastor said to our small group. The way to being a servant leader is through influence. We gain influence by loving and serving people. (my paraphrase). Which goes with my prayer this morning and many mornings… Lord, help me love, help me show people the love you have given to me.

My third reading I see… Rejoice. Paul’s prayer that “through my being with you your joy in Christ will overflow on account of me.”

****

Lecto Divina

Lectio Divina is an ancient Latin term literally translated, "Diving Reading," or "Sacred Reading," that centuries ago was developed into a systemic method of prayer, that is, reading as a basis for prayer.

No comments: