Thursday, May 29, 2008

Feet Washing

Servants
Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him. John 13:3-5

The Lord used the book Jesus on Leadership to prepare my heart before I received my call to ministry. The book brought me to a point of being willing to surrender my live totally to God’s service. The author begins the book with a memorable scene. (Note: the other book I used was God's Call, the cornerstone of effective ministry by Neil Knierim and Yvonne Burrage, Lifeway)

I rode with Henry Webb and Ralph Hodge to Atlanta for the first Promise Keeper’s Clergy Conference. While there, God changed my heart. One evening we heard Wellington Boone speak on reconciliation. He commented that while reconciliation between blacks and whites was important, God could not bring revival until blacks were reconciled among themselves. Wellington began to honor Tony Evans, a black pastor in Dallas. I did not know that Dr. Evans had been catching flack from the black community because he has reached out to whites.

Rev. Boone said in front of forty-two-thousand-plus clergy, “if I had a cup of water, I would wash Tony Evans feet.” The men of integrity would have nothing of idle words. Suddenly, a man jumped up and approached the stage with a glass of water. Almost immediately, another man came running down the aisle waving a towel. Men began to cheer and stand to their feet.

Another black clergyman on the platform, Bishop Porter, went to Tony Evans, stood him up, and led him to a chair on center stage. Wellington Boone took the towel and the water, unlaced Tony Evan’s shoes, and washed his feet. The place erupted with emotion. Men began to cry at the display of humility and honor. I began to cry because I knew God really wanted me to wash the feet of those who had called me to decide who deep the mission of God was in my life. That was it. I knew. My responsibility was to wash their feet. God would take care of the rest. (Jesus on Leadership by Gene Wilkes p. 5)

Last spring at Breakaway 05 our youth camp, I had my own powerful encounter with feet washing. Kevin, Kyle and Jordan had planned an awesome week at camp. As they prepared they decided to set the pace of camp by setting aside the Sunday evening for worship. The decision to use all five senses while engaged in the act of worship brought results beyond our expectations. Drawing on the traditions of the Christian faith we set up stations that the students would pass through; a room of incense for the sense of smell, music for hearing, a PowerPoint presentation of the names of God for sight, the feet washing for touch. We completed the service with communion for sense of taste.

I was asked to do the feet washing, the touch aspect of our sensory worship. As a child raised the Brethren church, a denomination who regularly practiced the ceremony each *Maundy Thursday, I was familiar with this ancient rite. I was able to pull from my memories and the resource of my father.Paired with Jordan, we were stationed outside on the patio between the tennis courts and pool. It was a beautiful cloudless night. There was no wind, unusual for that time of year in Texas.Jordan read the scripture, John 13:1-17, and I gave a brief talk from what the Lord had placed on my heart.

For who is greater, the one who reclines at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at the table? But I am among you as the one who serves.Luke 22:27

Jesus asked this question of his disciples at what is now know as the Last Supper. It was an unexpected question because the disciples had just finished arguing about who was to be this greatest. (Luke 22:24). It was an ironic question because Jesus had just finished the Passover supper and he had lead them through the first communion service and told them on of them one among them would betray him. Jesus was pointing to what he had done for them in the interim after the meal and before communion. He had washed their feet as a sign of humility and a lesson in servanthood. Jesus was making a point, because it was obvious they had not gotten it yet as he listened to their argument. He had come to serve. He was the suffering servant of Isaiah 53. He was prepared to die and preparing them for his death.

This is a simple ceremony we are going to partake in. At one time in all the protestant denominations and in the early church it was a common practice, however, it has fallen to the wayside because it makes people feel uncomfortable. This is sad, because it is a very powerful picture of the living Christ.

In silence Jordan and I started to wash the feet of the students, about a dozen at a time. I washed a young woman’s feet and Jordan a young man’s. They in turn washed the feet of the person beside them. We did this four times as each group of youth made their way to us. Each time it became richer and richer. The youth as they passed through all the stations were being transformed too. The presence of God was as strong among us as the night was deep, windless and silent. But the most powerful thing I witnessed was when Jordan knelt down and washed the feet of his wife Jennifer. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I witnessed one of the most beautiful acts of love of think I have ever seen. That is the heart of Jordan, my friend; he is a servant of God. He loves his wife more than himself.

-------------

*The word "Maundy" comes from the Latin for 'command' (mandatum). It refers to the command given by Jesus at the Last Supper, that his disciples should love one another.

http://www.thisischurch.com/christianinfo/maundythursday.htm

No comments: