Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I am Just a Housewife

“I am just a housewife.” Then I thought of Rosa Parks who recently died along with Coretta Scott King. And I shuddered. I am sure they often thought that. But their place in history is evident in spite of their seemingly lowly positions, just a housewife. Martin Luther King Jr. described Coretta as “as a dedicated, devoted and loyal wife” in a sermon he preached about the night Jesus encouraged him to stand up for truth. (Soul Survivor p. 20) We all know Rosa’s story, a woman who refused to give up her seat on a bus for a white man defying an unjust law. She started a movement that brought a young black pastor into the forefront of change, Dr. King. One of the lawyer, E.D. Nixon, who would challenge the Alabama segregation laws described Rosa as one of the finest citizens of Montgomery; “Parks was securely married and employed, possessed a quiet and dignified demeanor, and was politically savvy.”

This is Black History Month and although I am not a person of color, I think I understand oppression and the struggle to stand up for truth. I am only a housewife, but I am called to speak the truth in love. I will tell the truth. The scripture tell us "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:31b-33. As I am reading the story of King from Philip Yancey’s perspective I am hit by the reality of my upbringing and how the teaching of nonviolent social change I was steeped in as a youth has colored my world and shaped my personality. I just didn’t get it all right. In many ways I have suffered without demanding change. Commenting on her arrest Rosa Parks said, “The only things that bothered me is we waited so long to make this protest.” (Academy of Achievement Website) I too lament my lack of protest.

To suffer without cause is not wise, but to understand the strategy King employed and acted on brings new life to something that is at the core of my personality, call it empowerment, I don’t know, it is more like focus. Oppression of any form is never right. No matter what you call it. The scriptures teach the opposite and the Psalm declare God’s position on the subject. There is no mistake He hears the prayers of the afflicted and answers them in their distress. And the afflicted are told to look to their God for strength.

We as believers are called to a high standard.

Romans 12:9-21

Love

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.

In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head. "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

The heart of Dr. King’s message; overcome evil with good. At its heart is the ability to forgive injustice, but the courage to stand up against it.

Yancey concisely states King’s charge to those he tried to lead in peaceful protest, “Moral change is not accomplished through immoral means.” (Soul Survivor p.25) Which brings us full circle to Jesus, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

King and his followers knew they had to endure and not give in to hatred, but follow their call to the end if they were to prevail, which they did at great cost to themselves. They knew they might not see the effects of their actions in their lifetime, but they endured and overcame.

But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.

We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force.

(I have a Dream Speech)

King’s strategies

Yancey compares King’s life call to the role of a prophet which is two fold; to communicate a short term goal that will bring attention to a problem and suggest a solution as in the bus boycotts. As these events bring social tension and resistance to them becomes painfully evident King proclaimed what Yancey called the long term vision of the Kingdom of God.

Yet when years have rolled past and when the blazing light of truth is focused on this marvelous age in which we live - men and women will know and children will be taught that we have a finer land, a better people, a more noble civilization - because these humble children of God were willing to suffer for righteousness' sake. (From King’s acceptance of the Nobel Peace Prize)

I find myself in the struggle of my life, against an invisible enemy, one not easily recognized; verbal and emotional abuse. Like Parks I am tired too, physically tired yes, but what I am speaking about is that I am tired of being controlled by another person. I do not see myself as a\ Nobel prize candidate, or a woman who will start a social movement. But a woman who will help others, someday I will.

What God is asking me to do?

He calls me to reformation; both personal and corporate within the body of Christ. He has shown me that only in a radical change in our relationships – how we deal with each other, can there be the change which will bring about the church God intended us to be.



Written 2-25-06

No comments: