Saturday, October 25, 2008

I Shall Be Released

It’s past one and I am trying to settle down to sleep. I need to write first. I have fasted almost every weekend since January. This weekend I tried, but just couldn’t I am at the end of myself and I just need to eat. But I am telling you the Lord spoke to me more this weekend than in the last ten months. I may not sleep tonight at all. I think I need to try to write it down. That is how it is when He speaks, at least to me. I know I am supposed to try.

I went to the shelter and my mentee wasn’t there. Miscommunication. I dunno. I decided to teach an open class. I wasn’t going to because I have a lot to do (which I have not done) The Chaplain in charge rounds up a group of people. Two ladies, a 12 year old boy and three young women, two babies, a two year old and two on the way. We had the best class. So much so I stayed two hours instead of one. I lost track on time COMPLETELY. Very weird.

I figured out a whole lot about what I need to do with the class. The open class needs to be limited to 6 plus the babies and little ones. I can handle that. I have dreaded the open classes, even though I wanted to do them. Today was very cool. So now I know. We did collage and I will have to post them. Later.

I meet a lady I will call Princess. She just moved from Indiana, really Chicago. She gave me the same message the lady I talked to about a month ago. The same message I got from my small group discussion, about listening to God’s voice and obeying. God told her to move to Texas. What was neat about her is she came and she expects things to fall in place, get a job and a place to stay and watch God use her. She said she knows she is positioning herself to be used. She just needs to listen to his voice. In group on Thursday we talked about Abraham waiting for the promise, how he knew he heard God’s voice, but then there was a 25 year wait. So long that Abraham doubted and messed up. But God was consistent and kept sending the message.

I know God’s voice.

When I meet these young with little ones and then pregnant too, my heart just goes out to them. And I want to do something to help them to be able to survive. I struggle being a single mom and my kids are older and I have a job, an education on the way and I have people who support me, I have a church family and I know God is leading me. So I ask myself what can I do. I know that is the first step.

I know God never wastes a hurt. Because of what has happened to me the last 4 years, I know some of their pain, their struggles.

Princess left a home in Indiana, now lives in a shelter, listening to God. She does a collage of Sudan. She tells me, “There is so much suffering and not enough people trying to help.” I am not sure I can explain what that does to me. Being there, loving these people God has placed in my path.

I go to the concert tonight Art, Music and Justice with Sara Groves, Brandon Heath, Derek Webb, Sandra McCracken and Charlie Peacock. They talked about world Hunger and Social Justice and promoted two organizations that deal with them. It was the same thing. I have to ask, what do You want me to do? I think about my vision that God gave me about the hurting woman and I know these emotions I am feeling are from him, this stirring in my heart and I think He is positioning me. There was a song about a prayer to ask God to open our eyes to see what He sees. And I see mothers of young children, who need a hand and a hug and encouraging words.

Sara Groves said something else that really hit me and it was to become the voice of the voiceless. And I thought wow, I could do that. It was in the context of giving the gospel legs and impacting the oppressed for God. The verse they used in context for me.........

Isaiah 58.
Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,
only a day for a man to humble himself?
Is it only for bowing one's head like a reed
and for lying on sackcloth and ashes?
Is that what you call a fast,
a day acceptable to the LORD ?
"Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.
Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
"If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.

No comments: