Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Way of the Cross

I have been reading through the book of Mark in my quiet time for the last few weeks. The last few days concerned the betrayal, trial, crucifixion, death and finally today the resurrection of Jesus Christ. I guess since I often read the story during the season of lent, it seemed slightly out of place, not that it is ever inappropriate to remember Christ’s suffering. It probably doesn’t occur in the liturgical calendar in November. I do not go to a liturgical church, although I have. Today we had a taste of the liturgical reinvented in a very beautiful mix of candle light and quiet, music, scripture and prayer as we “walked” through the stations of the cross before communion. Powerful? yes. Beautiful? deeply. Memorable? I hope to remember it.

We were asked to bring some burden to the cross which was in the center of the stage area draped in purple cloth, illuminated by dozens of candles. The stage is where the pastor usually preaches and the band plays. Those elements were removes as distractions to worship and were placed in the back of the church. We faced the front of the church and followed along in song and prayer. With the assistance of PowerPoint images and the text we were able to join in corporate prayer. The scripture was read and interpreted in Jesus’ voice. Jesus spoke. The thoughts of Christ were read by our worship leader and written by him too, I believe. Through the mind of Christ he asked the congregation very powerful questions and we were given a time of response as we came forward for communion, a practice we are familiar with. We also placed our written burdens in a basket before we took the elements.

We experienced the scriptures today as we celebrated our union as the body of Christ. We were asked to become one with our Lord and position ourselves to be used by Him. We were given a chance to worship without distractions.

As we participated I remembered a friend and fellow Bible study teacher whom at one time co-taught classes with. We particularly concentrated on making the scriptures real through the use of symbolism, hopefully giving richer meaning to contact with the scriptures. She assisted me the first time I lead a mini prayer retreat and as I sat there today I remembered a story of reconciliation that took place at that first retreat. My friend had us all (about 14) drape ourselves in black cloth symbolizing our sin. We went forward and knelt before the cross which was draped in red and prayed a prayer of confession. Then we place our black cloth are the foot of the cross and left it there. One of the ladies attending came to my friend and confessed bitterness towards her from a situation years before. These ladies were leadership and they then prayed and cried together. It was a powerful thing for leadership to be releases from unforgiveness and find unity. No small thing.

I am waiting for other stories to be told about today. This is mine.

No comments: