Saturday, January 31, 2009

The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

I have been reading through the Book of Galatians in my quiet time in the morning. A strange occurrence, not unfamiliar, except in its intensity happened, having portion of scripture “jump out” at you from the page. The last part of the 6th verse of Galatians 5:6 did this morning. And I applied it to myself with great relief. I can do that, express faith through love although in incomplete and imperfect measure. I can wrap my mind around it. I understand it. To say, God willing and in His strength I will express faith through love. It fills me with peace.

What I cannot do is what the Galatians had started to do and that is to be justified by the law, or better yet by works or any other human standard whether it is mine or another. You have no idea how freeing that as for me. It lifted a burden of trying to be right in other people’s eyes. I am beginning to see myself as God sees me, through Jesus Christ.

My God has forgiven me even of anything that might have caused Him shame. He is capable of forgiving me and desires for me to walk in that forgiveness.

How about you? Are you free from trying to live by a standard instead of grace? Do you judge yourself and others by a standard that you have measured in your own mind? A friend recently told me to stop trying to figure God out, walk in faith. I think that applies here. Another friend often says to judge nothing before its time, really judge nothing because God is not finished with us and He is the judge. I think my friend is referring to Paul. He does not even judge himself.

The application here for me to begin to seek God’s will in my life, now. I think I have waited a season or two. I have begun, but not begun in earnest. Maybe because to seek God’s will for my life will encourage dealing with difficult situations, relationships and the mess of accumulated judgment I have stored inside of me that really, really, really is not of God.

1 Corinthians 4:1-5
Apostles of Christ So then, men ought to regard us as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the secret things of God. Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful. I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.

No comments: