Monday, August 4, 2008

Haiku retort

Sky


new moon
into focus the bird of paradise
that never bloomed


distant lightening
my Japanese iris
curls closed


cirrus clouds
catch the last light
marigold on finger tips


sun ascends
burning off the haze
i awaken

for b.b.


Wind Chimes 21

I wrote this as a response to my mentor's previous submission to the magazine dedicated to me with a subtle slam. I had just become a believer and it was like I betrayed him. I do not have what he wrote... I threw it away with all the teachings I had that he had written. They were a snare to me and an idol that I needed to burn. My retort referenced my deep disappointment in the new age teachings I had embraced. The the last haiku should read Son instead of sun.

I was alive in Christ, but not very good at handling my complex relationship with my mentor. We part ways at this point. I wrote him a series of letters at his sister's request and only succeeded in making him hate me. I stopped when he met his wife. I only saw him when his mother was having surgery to remove a brain tumor, my sister in law was with me. She waited outside of the ICU while I was taken in as Fern's daugther. I was family.

No comments: