Saturday, August 30, 2008

Haiku to go

coquina stone fresh with sea
in grandfather's
weather beaten hand

morning-glory opens
but I can't reach
for grandmother's hand


The first is written about my father. There is nothing in the world I enjoy more than looking for shell and things with my dad on the beach. He has the most amazing shark tooth collection.

The second was written about my grandmother after she died. She loved flowers and had a green thunb, she could make anything grow. There were morning glories that grew up around a post in the front of her lakefront cottage. I remember seeing them bloom after she died and it just made my heart ache.

Haiku about memories that don't leave us are some of the best. Something happens, we see something, smell something and we are transported back to then.

No comments: